Advising FAQ

How do I make an appointment to see an academic advisor?

  • You can make an appointment through your portal following the path below: 
    • SC4 Portal ===> Student Resources ===> Support for Success ===> Advising ===> Make an Advising Appointment  
  • Or, by calling (810) 989-5520 

Which advisor do I make the appointment with?

  • You can make it with any advisor that is available on a day/time that works for you.    

I want an appointment on Thursday but I do not see any options listed for this day. Do you have advising appointments on Thursdays? 

  • We have drop in advising appointments from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursdays. These are on a first-come, first-served basis. Occasionally our office is closed for professional development so it is best to call (810) 989-5520 to confirm that we will be here or check the portal announcements for closures.

What catalog year do I need to follow?

  • An academic year is defined by fall, winter and summer semesters. For example the 2015-16 catalog includes fall of 2015, winter of 2016 and summer of 2016. So if you start in any of those semesters you would use the degree requirements for that catalog as long as you complete it within five years. Or, you can use a newer catalog if you take at least one class during that academic year and find it more beneficial.

How do I know if my class transfers to another institution I am planning on attending?  

  • If you are planning on transferring to a school in Michigan, you will probably be able to confirm that at the following website:

Is there anything else I should know about transferring classes? 

  • Absolutely, be sure that the class not only transfers but it is going to be applicable to the degree you plan to pursue at the other institution.

If I get a degree, is it true that all my courses will transfer? 

  • Not necessarily, generally speaking courses transfer, not degrees.

What type of degree typically has required coursework that will have the most classes that transfer and apply to a Bachelor Degree? 

  • AA – Associate in Arts
  • AS – Associate in Science
  • AB – Associate in Business
  • AE – Associate in Engineering

How do I know what classes are required for degrees?  

  • For the Associate in General Education (AGE), Associate in Arts (AA), and Associate in Science (AS) there are several choices to pick from. Click here to see a graduation worksheet which shows the options.  
  • Click here for the Associate in Business (AB)
  • Click here for the Associate in Engineering (AE)
  • For Associate in Applied Arts and Science (AAS) refer to whichever degree you are pursuing such as Criminal Justice, Engineering Technology – Mechatronics, Health Information Technology, etc. Click here.  

What should I bring to my advising appointment? 

  • SC4 Username and password for portal
  • Any previous graduation audits and/or transfer guides given to you in a previous advising appointment.
  • Skippers OneCard
  • If applicable, drop off any necessary Financial Aid paperwork during check in