St. Clair County Community College

Higher education for the Blue Water Area and beyond

International Students

International Students

Male SC4 student headshot image

Succeed at SC4

International students can benefit from small class settings, personalized attention, programs taught by instructors with real-world experience, and modern student housing at SC4. While you’re here in beautiful Port Huron, Michigan—just an hour from Detroit—you’ll connect with students and faculty from across the region, making contacts that can help build professional relationships. International students have come to SC4 from Botswana, Brazil, Canada, England, Germany, China, Ukraine and more!

Steps to apply to SC4


Step 1: Submit an application

Fill out the application. Please note the following application deadlines:

  • Fall semester – June 1
  • Winter semester – Oct. 1
  • Summer semester* – March 1
    *Note: Only Canadian commuter students are permitted to start in the summer semester. Deadlines may be flexible.

Please note: You will be required to submit a completed Financial Resources Form and a completed F-1 Status Contract Form as you fill out the international student application. Please print and complete these forms prior to filling out the electronic international student application. If you are a student currently attending another college or university in the U.S., you’ll also need to submit a completed International Student Transfer Form.


Step 2: Submit additional information

Submit 1) school records, 2) proof of financial resources, 3) proof of English ability and 4) proof of health insurance to:

St. Clair County Community College
Attn: Carrie Bearss
323 Erie Street
P.O. Box 5015
Port Huron, MI 48061-5015
United States of America

School records

You must submit an official, sealed English translation of school records (high school/secondary school diploma, transcripts, and if applicable, college transcripts) showing proof of graduation from a secondary school. SC4 does not accept faxed or photocopied school records documentation.

You can still apply if you are completing your last year of high school or secondary school. Submit your transcripts of all the classes you have completed thus far. Additionally, if you’ve attended a college or university, transcripts from that school must be provided as well. If you want the college/university transcript evaluated for possible transfer credit, the transcript must be evaluated by an organization member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Please contact one of the following member organizations to obtain a transcript evaluation report:

World Education Services, Inc.
(800) 361-3106

Educational Credential Evaluators Inc.

Proof of financial support

You also must provide the college with information regarding sources of financial support. This information is required for all students planning to enter the U.S. It is required by St. Clair County Community College in compliance with regulations set forth by the U.S. Consulate and Immigration Services. The U.S. consulate officials require evidence of financial support before a visa is granted.

Submit proof of original or certified evidence of financial resources for the amount of $23,823 USD ($16,993 USD for full-time Canadian commuter students, and $8,497 for part-time Canadian commuters).

  • A current (i.e. less than two months old) original or certified bank statement may serve as evidence of financial resources. The statement may be that of the applicant and/or that of the applicant’s sponsor. If there is a sponsor, the sponsor must also sign the Financial Resources form. Students may not include expected income from employment during the academic year or summer months as proof of resources.
  • SC4 does not accept faxed or photocopied bank statements, letters, or financial solvency documentation.

Proof of English ability

Applicants whose home country’s official language is not English must provide proof of English ability by submitting official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an ELS Language Center. No other scores will be accepted.

Students must score a minimum of 512 on the paper-based version of TOEFL or a minimum of 68 on the Internet-based version of TOEFL. An IELTS score of 6.5 or higher is accepted. The minimum ELS proficiency level required is 109. The St. Clair County Community College code for TOEFL is 1628.

Non-U.S. applicants are also exempt from the TOEFL requirement if they have completed one full academic year at a college or university in the United States as a full-time student or earned an accredited associate, bachelor, master, or doctoral degree from a college or university in the United States. Applicants from Puerto Rico must meet the TOEFL requirement.

For more information about TOEFL, visit

Proof of health insurance

Prior to arriving in the United States, it is required that international students provide proof of U.S. health insurance, including repatriation coverage. (Canadian students must purchase supplementary travel health insurance and submit a copy of the Canadian Health card.) If you provided proof of health insurance as you completed the international application, you do not have to provide this again. However, you also may provide proof by submitting it via hard copy to the address above. 

Insurance coverage must include the following:

Medical coverage per accident and injury of at least $100,000

Repatriation coverage of at least $5,000


Step 3: Apply for an F-1 Visa

After completing the above steps to apply for admission, you will receive an SC4 acceptance package and will be issued a Form I-20 from the College. Use the Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa if you need a visa to enter the United States (Visa-exempt countries include Canada and Bermuda). You must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee before going to the United States embassy or consulate for your visa interview. Additional information regarding paying this fee will be included in the SC4 acceptance package and may be found at

For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security at


Step 4: Final enrollment steps

Before registering for classes, new students must:

  • Take any necessary placement tests (Reading, writing and math. If the assessments indicate that developmental courses are needed, students must enroll in courses selected for them by an academic advisor.)
  • Meet with an advisor (optional, but recommended)
  • Look into College Housing as a potential housing option. International students living in College Housing benefit from in-district tuition rates.
  • Pay tuition at the time of registration (Any checks issued to the college in U.S. funds that do not clear the college’s bank account will require immediate cash or money order payment. Failure to pay will result in the student being dropped from classes. All outstanding student financial obligations must be paid prior to class registration for the next semester).

It is recommended that you make and maintain copies of all documents submitted to the college. Documents submitted to the college become part of your student record and cannot be returned.

Please contact Carrie Bearss at or (810) 989-5501 with any questions.


International Admissions
(810) 989-5560