Moving on

Starting at SC4

Two students working together on an electronics project.

For over 95 years, we’ve helped students start here and go anywhere. All of our programs are designed to move you into the career path of your dreams or the next step in your higher education. We have transfer degrees designed specifically to prepare you for further study at a four-year college or university.

Associate in Arts – Intended for students who plan to transfer to a four-year university and pursue an Bachelor of Arts degree in fields such as anthropology, art, communications, economics, English, foreign languages, geography, history, music, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology, or theater arts.

Associate in Science – Intended for students who plan to transfer to a four-year university and pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in STEM-related fields such as astronomy, biology, chemistry, earth science, geology, physics, or physical science.

Associate in Business – Intended for students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution and pursue a Bachelor of Business Administration or other similar degree in a business-related field, such as accounting, finance, management, or marketing.

Other transfer resources

Michigan Transfer Network – View how SC4 credits transfer to Michigan colleges and universities.

Articulation opportunities – SC4 has numerous agreements with colleges and universities that provide seamless transfer to four-year institutions in many fields. Click the “Articulation Agreements” link above or contact an SC4 advisor at 810-989-5520 for details.

Requesting your SC4 transcript – SC4 transcripts are processed through the National Student Clearinghouse. A $5 fee per transcript sent will be charged to a credit or debit card when ordering.

For more information, contact the advising office at 810-989-5520 or

Michigan Transfer Agreement

SC4 is a member of the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA), which simplifies the transfer of credit for SC4 students between community colleges, four-year public colleges, and some private colleges in Michigan. The agreement stipulates that 30 semester credit hours of 100-level and above, compatible, general course work will be given smooth transferability to other participating Michigan colleges and universities. Credits will be awarded towards a student’s general education requirements.

Students who have attended other institutions who wish to have their credits transferred to SC4 can have their transcripts evaluated and recorded as meeting MTA requirements for SC4’s associate of arts or science degrees, as long as their previous institution considered those courses to satisfy MTA at that school. In any case, the 30 credit hours of lower-level general education from the sending institution will be accepted as a block of 30 credit hours by SC4. Please note that not all 30 credits may meet program requirements for associate of applied arts and science (occupational) programs.

A list of colleges and universities that have signed the Michigan Transfer Agreement.

Students completing the following MTA requirements must request from the SC4 Enrollment Services office to have their transcript marked as “MTA Satisfied”. This request can be made by emailing

Upon meeting MTA criteria, the following notation will be posted to a student’s transcript (located at the end of the semester course detail in which MTA criteria was met): *****MTA Satisfied

Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) Checklist

MTA Requirements

Required Courses
ENG 101 – English Composition I 
ENG 102 – English Composition II or SPC 101 – Speech Communication
2 courses in Social Science from two disciplines
2 courses in Humanities from two disciplines 
2 courses in Science, including one with laboratory experience, from two disciplines 
1 course from appropriate Mathematics pathway 

Range Total Credit Hours/Range Total Contact Hours = 30/30+ 

Note: Students must earn a minimum 2.000 GPA in all MTA courses. Students whose completed MTA coursework meets the above criteria, but does not add up to 30 credits, must take additional MTA-approved coursework to meet the 30 credit minimum. If not already MTA-approved from a previous institution, students must complete one college credit at SC4 in order to have their transcript evaluated for MTA qualification. 

MTA Approved Courses

English/Communications – choose one course from each line below:

  • English 101 or 101H (Honors) 
  • English 102 or 102H (Honors) or Speech 101 or 101H (Honors)

Social Science – choose two courses (must be from two disciplines):

  • Anthropology (ANT) 
  • Economics (ECON 221, 222)
  • Geography (GEO 102, 233 only) 
  • History (HIS 149, 150)
  • Political Science (PS) 
  • Psychology (PSY) 
  • Sociology (SOC)

Humanities – choose two courses (must be from two disciplines):

  • Art (ART 120, 121, 122) 
  • History (HIS 101, 102 only)
  • Literature (ENG 202 or higher) 
  • Modern Language (FR, SP, GR) 
  • Music (MUS 106, 110)  
  • Philosophy (PHL) 
  • Theatre (THA 101, 105) 

Sciences – choose two courses from the science categories below; courses must be from two disciplines, and one must contain a laboratory:

    Biological Science

  • Biology (BIO)

    Physical Science

  • Astronomy (AST) 
  • Chemistry (CHM) 
  • Earth Science (GEO 101) 
  • Geology (GLG)
  • Global Energy Resources (GEO 137) 
  • Global Sustainability (GEO 175)
  • Meteorology (GEO 105)
  • Physical Science (PHS 101)
  • Physics (PHY)

Mathematics – choose a mathematics course for your appropriate pathway:

  • Associate of Arts (AA) = MTH 104, MTH 120 or MTH 113 or higher 
  • Associate of Science (AS) = MTH 113 or higher

For assistance in choosing courses to fulfill MTA requirements for your planned program of study, schedule an appointment to meet with an academic advisor at 810-989-5520.

University Center

The SC4 University Center on SC4’s Port Huron campus offers you the convenience of completing a bachelor’s degree close to home or online. Classes are held all over campus and many are available on evenings or weekends to accommodate your busy schedule.

University Center offices are located in the SC4 Welcome Center, Room 251.

See what our University Center partners have to offer here at SC4:

Ferris State University

University of Michigan-Flint

Walsh College

With a combination of classes at SC4 University Center and Macomb University Center:

  • Bachelor of Accountancy
  • Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance

With a combination of classes at SC4 University Center and online:

  • Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance, General Business, Management and Marketing

Transfer agreements

SC4 makes it easy to transfer to many four-year colleges and universities.

We also have many transfer agreements in place that can make it even easier. For instance, some 3 + 1 agreements allow students to complete three years at SC4 and one at the transfer institution.

See details below about the agreements in place. For more information, contact advising at 810-989-5520 or send an email to

Agreements with four-year colleges and universities

Reverse Transfer

SC4 has formal Reverse Transfer Agreements with the following institutions. If you leave SC4 without having the requirements met for an associate degree, you can take the necessary courses at a four year institution and transfer the credits back to us. If the institution you transfer to is not listed below, this is still an option. See an SC4 academic advisor for details.

  • Central Michigan University
  • Grand Valley State University
  • Ferris State University
  • Oakland University
  • Saginaw Valley State University
  • University of Michigan-Flint
  • Walsh College
  • Western Michigan University

College Credit from K-12 Institutions

Some classes from area TEC centers (including St. Clair TEC) can be transferred to SC4 for college credit. You must have a 2.0 high school GPA and a 3.0 or higher GPA in the program/course. Here are the options from area institutions.