Advising FAQ

How do I make an appointment to see an academic advisor?

  • You can make an appointment through the SC4 Portal by following this path: 
    • SC4 Portal > Student Resources > Support for Success > Advising > Make an Advising Appointment
  • Or simply call (810) 989-5520 and we'll help you set up your appointment.

Which advisor do I make the appointment with?

  • You can make an appointment with any advisor that's available, on a date and time that works for you.

I want an appointment on Thursday, but I don't see any options listed. Do you have advising appointments on Thursdays? 

  • We have drop-in advising appointments from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursdays. These are on a first-come, first-served basis. Occasionally, our office is closed for professional development so it's best to call (810) 989-5520 to make sure that we will be here. You can also check the announcements on the SC4 Portal for closures.

What catalog year do I need to use?

  • An academic year is defined by fall, winter and summer semesters. For example the 2017-18 catalog includes fall of 2017, winter of 2018 and summer of 2018. So if you start in any of those semesters you would use the degree requirements for that catalog as long as you complete it within five years. You can switch to a newer catalog if it would be beneficial to completing your degree; you need to have taken at least one class during that academic year to be eligible to use that catalog.

How do I know if my class transfers to another institution I am planning on attending?

  • If you are planning on transferring to a school in Michigan, most classes offered by community colleges and four-year college and universities in the state are cross-referenced on the Michigan Transfer Network website.

Is there anything else I should know about transferring classes?

  • Be sure that the class not only transfers but it is going to be applicable to the degree you plan to pursue at the other institution.

If I get a degree, is it true that all my courses will transfer?

  • Not necessarily, generally speaking the individual courses you've taken will be evaluated for transfer, not a degree, which is why it's important to talk to your SC4 advisor - and an advisor at the school you're planning to transfer to - early in your college planning process.

What SC4 degrees typically include the required courses that will transfer and apply to a Bachelors Degree?

  • Associate in Arts (AA) degree
  • Associate in Science (AS) degree
  • Associate in Business (AB) degree

Please note that SC4's Associate in General Education (AGE) degree generally doesn't include the general education requirements that will be needed at a four-year college or university. Consult an SC4 advisor and an advisor at your transfer school to make sure any needed requirements are completed prior to transferring.

How do I know what classes are required for degrees?

What should I bring to my advising appointment?

  • Your username and password for the SC4 Portal.
  • Any previous graduation audits, transfer guides, and other notes given to you in a previous advising appointment, either at SC4 or another institution.
  • Your Skippers OneCard for identification verification.
  • Any outstanding financial aid paperwork, which you can drop off at the first floor service counter when you check in for your advising appointment.