Amy Coleman

A career helping others

Amy Coleman helps to lead The Kresge Foundation

Amy Coleman
Amy Coleman

Amy Coleman started her education at SC4, and today helps lead a $3.1 billion private foundation that supports nonprofit organizations in communities across the country and world.

Coleman is vice president of finance and treasurer for The Kresge Foundation in Troy.

“I love what I do; it’s not just a job. It’s a career,” said Coleman, of Macomb Township.

The Kresge Foundation was established in 1924 and supports nonprofit organizations in six fields of interest: arts and culture, community development, education, environment, and health and human services.

Coleman graduated from SC4 in 1988 with an associate degree in business and transferred to Walsh College, where she earned a bachelor of business administration degree in accounting.

The first of seven children in her family to attend college, Coleman said she didn’t know what to expect when she arrived on campus at SC4.

“There was a general overall nervousness. But I started doing well at the work, and I thought the community college was very supportive,” she said. “Making that transition to Walsh was easy. I was very well prepared going in, and SC4 provided a good background.”

Students who want to excel in business or any career must keep their priorities in mind, Coleman said, and they will be able to reach their desired career.

“There are going to be a lot of distractions, so focus on your end goal,” she said. “Use that critical period of time and invest in yourself. You are worth the investment.”