Calvin Bassil

Love of the sport

Athletics and academics lured Calvin Bassil to SC4

Calvin Bassil
Calvin Bassil

For SC4 alumnus Calvin Bassil, SC4 allowed him to follow his love of athletics into an enjoyable career as sports and events coordinator at the YMCA of the Blue Water Area.

Bassil came to SC4 because of his skills on the ball diamond. He was a three-sport standout for the Cros-Lex Pioneers and was recruited to play baseball for the Skippers. He helped the Skippers finish third in the Michigan Community College Athletic Association standings.

“I had a great experience at SC4,” Bassil said. “I loved it there. The baseball coaches were great, and I had very good professors.”

Bassil received an athletic scholarship to play baseball at Western Illinois University and transferred after a year at SC4. He went on to earn a degree in recreation and parks, along with tourism administration from Western Illinois in the spring of 2011.Calvin Bassil 1

Bassil, of Port Huron, returned home and did an internship with the YMCA of the Blue Water Area. He landed the job as the sports and events coordinator in September 2011.

“I really enjoy working with kids,” Bassil said. “Every six weeks we start up a new set of programs. We are doing a lot with the youth programs and I’m constantly trying to get more programs for the adults going.”

Bassil also finds time to coach ninth-grade girls basketball at Port Huron High School and the junior varsity baseball team at Cros-Lex High School.