Chris Smith

Police officer Christopher Smith doesn’t quit on his career goals

Chris Smith
Chris Smith

Port Huron Police Officer Christopher Smith never gave up on his career goals, and SC4 has enabled him to make a positive difference in his hometown.

Smith’s path to law enforcement traveled through SC4, but not how he originally intended. After graduating from Port Huron Northern High School, he attended SC4 for one semester.

He dropped out of school with poor grades.

“I thought working in fast food was easier than going to school,” he said.

Smith moved from fast food to the laundry department at Port Huron Hospital. He again enrolled at SC4 and dropped out.

His life and career path changed with the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The national crisis helped him realize he was missing his true calling.

“I thought, ‘I want to make a difference,’ ” Smith said. “I came back dedicated.”

He enrolled for a third time at SC4 in 2001, this time focused on his future. Smith juggled working full time with going to school full time. School was tough, but he thanks his SC4 instructors for challenging him and offering personal help.

Smith earned his associate degree in criminal justice – law enforcement from SC4 in 2003. He attended the Macomb Police Academy and also completed it in 2003.

“I couldn’t actually believe I was a police officer,” he said.” I let my goal go for about 10 years. To be able to apply what you learned, it was a good feeling.”

Smith has been working at the Port Huron Police Department since 2005.

Smith’s advice for students at SC4 or considering going to college is to stick to their long-term plans. “I encourage people to set a goal and go for it. Don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone.”