Dr. David Bolla

Boosting morale, one tooth at a time

SC4 puts a smile on local dentist David Bolla

Dr. David Bolla

Smiling is serious business to St. Clair County Community College alumnus Dr. David Bolla.

As a dentist, nothing makes Bolla happier than seeing his patients transform not just physically, but emotionally.

“The different people you meet and are able to help, those are the good things,” he said. “It’s being able to help them change cosmetically, and actually seeing personality changes with people thanks to their smile.”

Bolla graduated from SC4 in 1973 with an associate degree in science. He credits his start at SC4 for helping him reach his academic and career goals. Today he co-owns Bolla, Cotter & Associates in Port Huron.

“I chose SC4 because it was close to home. I grew up in St. Clair, and I didn’t think I was ready to go away to college yet.”

What he did know, since the sixth grade, was that dentistry was his path. He spent a few years in braces to straighten his teeth. He realized he wanted to share that boost of self-confidence he felt after seeing his new smile.

“I thought, if I can do this for someone else, this would be a good profession.”SC4 served as the perfect bridge between high school and a university. Bolla went on to earn his bachelor’s of science in zoology from Michigan State University and his doctorate of dental surgery from the University of Michigan. “It worked out really well for me. By the time I was done with SC4, I was ready to go on.”

Bolla also was turned on to dentistry because it meant he could have total control of his future.

“You are your own boss. You can set your own hours, run your own business and be able to help people.”

Bolla and his wife Cynthia live in Port Huron. One of his lifelong hobbies is sailing. Bolla has competed in 37 Port Huron-to-Mackinac Island Sailboat Races. He also enjoys snow skiing, hiking, scuba diving and landscaping.

A member of the American Dental Association and Michigan Dental Association, Bolla also is a lifetime member of the Delta Sigma Delta Dental Fraternity and former president of the Thumb Dental Society.

His advice to new SC4 alumni is to run with their passion. Discover it, and pursue it.

“I’d do the same thing all over again. SC4 was a good starting point.”