Tom Brenner

Small screen success

Tom Brenner takes SC4 education to TV career

Tom Brenner and his award
Tom Brenner

A microphone in one hand, Tom Brenner roamed the sidelines at East China Stadium reporting on St. Clair High School football games.

Brenner was a junior at St. Clair in 2004 when he started as an intern/volunteer with CTV/Channel 6 in St. Clair.

But it took some broadcasting classes at St. Clair County Community College to get Brenner, a 2005 St. Clair graduate, really hooked on the profession. And his career has taken off as he has been a producer at Comcast SportsNet Bay Area in San Francisco since July of 2012.

“I’ve always loved sports, and I love television,” Brennan said. “I learned so much from instructors John Hill and Paul Miller during my two years at SC4,” Brenner said. “I got the opportunity to learn from somebody who had been in the business for decades.

“The only thing I had done up until that point was some high school football games. I found out this was something I could make money at and also make a good living.”

“SC4 was a great option for me because it allowed me stay involved at Channel 6 and also take some broadcasting classes,” said Brenner, 27. “I was able to save some money those two years. If had gone off to a four-year school right away I might have gone into something like business.”

Tom Brenner works with WDIV staff
Brenner works with WDIV staff

Brenner earned his associate degree from SC4 in 2007. He received his bachelor’s degree in broadcast and cinematic arts from Central Michigan University in 2009.

For two summers, Brenner served as an intern at WDIV/Local 4 Detroit. He landed job with WDIV as associate/weekend sports producer in 2010. After a year with WDIV, Brenner packed up and headed to California. He served as a production assistant and associate producer with Comcast SportsNet Bay Area before being named a producer.

Brenner received an Emmy Award in June of 2014 in the Sports One Time Special division. The winning show was 2013: A Year to Remember. 

Brenner lives in Oakland, Calif. with his wife, Jessica (formerly DeMand), who was a 2006 St. Clair grad and former SC4 student.