The St. Clair County Community College women and a pair of nationally ranked teams highlight the field for the first round of the national basketball tournament, held Thursday, Friday and Saturday, March 8, 9 and 10, at the SC4 Fieldhouse.
The Ancilla College men’s team, ranked No. 2 in the country, will play in the District 9 tournament, while the nation’s No. 18 women’s team, Muskegon Community College, will play in the District G tournament.
The SC4 women defeated Delta College Tuesday night to earn a place in the District H semifinal game at 7:30 p.m. Friday against rival Macomb Community College.
A total of 16 teams will compete in the Fieldhouse, starting with the men’s semifinals on Thursday. The women’s semifinals will be played Friday, with all four district finals on Saturday. There are four games scheduled each day, starting at 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
The games will be livestreamed at www.sc4.edu/basketball-tournament.
The men’s district winners advance to the National Junior College Athletic Association Division II tournament in Danville, Ill., while the two women’s champions travel to the NJCAA Division II tournament hosted by North Arkansas College.
Here are the semifinal matchups:
Men’s District 9
- Jackson College (18-11) vs. Grand Rapids Community College (21-9), 1 p.m., Thursday, March 8.
- Muskegon Community College (15-14) vs. Ancilla College (28-2), 3 p.m., Thursday, March 8.
- FINALS: 1 p.m. Saturday, March 10
Men’s District 10
- Schoolcraft College (21-8) vs. Macomb Community College (18-11), 5:30 p.m., Thursday, March 8.
- Delta College (19-6) vs. Henry Ford College (23-6), 7:30 p.m., Thursday, March 8.
- FINALS: 3 p.m. Saturday, March 10
Here are the women’s semifinal matchups for
Women’s District G
- Grand Rapids (14-13) vs. Ancilla (23-5), 1 p.m., Friday, March 9.
- Lake Michigan (21-8) vs. Muskegon (22-6), 3 p.m., Friday, March 9.
- FINALS: 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Saturday, March 10.
Women’s District H
- Schoolcraft (17-10) vs. Wayne County (15-8), 5:30 p.m., Friday, March 9.
- St. Clair County Community College (14-13) vs. Macomb (23-6), 7:30 p.m., Friday, March 9.
- FINALS: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, March 10.
There is entertainment for the whole family with each day providing a unique entertainment on top of the basketball. The X-Treme Dance Team will perform at halftime during the 5:30 and 7:30 p.m. games Thursday. During the Friday games, Port Huron Northern Jazz Band (1 p.m. game), Drum Line (3 p.m. game), Winter Guard (5:30 p.m. game) and Pep Band (7:30 p.m. game) will each perform at halftime. The SC4 Jazz Band will perform at halftime during the 5:30 p.m. game Saturday.
Northern sophomore Shaun Muzzarelli (Thursday), Northern junior Elizabeth Dewey (Friday) and the quartet Station Break, which includes Michigan Community College Association President Mike Hansen (Saturday), will be performing the national anthem.
For more information on the event, visit www.sc4.edu/basketball-tournament.