Become a part of the healthcare team as a professional medical assistant.
This one-year, nationally accredited certificate program is built to meet the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) standards and prepare students to perform various clinical and administrative duties in a wide assortment of health care settings.
Below you will find an overview of both clinical and administrative medical assistant job duties (duties vary from office to office depending on location, size, specialty, and state law).
Clinical duties (may include, but are not limited to):
- Obtaining patient medical history.
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients.
- Examination set-up and prep.
- Assisting physician and/or health care provider during exams and procedures.
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens.
- Performing basic laboratory tests.
- Educating patients about medication and special diets.
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician.
- Transmitting prescription refills as directed.
- Phlebotomy procedures (drawing blood).
- Performing electrocardiograms (EKGs).
- Removing sutures and changing bandage dressings.
Administrative duties (may include, but are not limited to):
- Use of office computer applications.
- Answering telephones and triaging patients.
- Greeting patients.
- Updating and filing patient medical records.
- Use of Electronic Medical Records (EMR).
- Coding and filling out insurance forms.
- Insurance prior authorizations and referrals.
- Scheduling appointments.
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services.
- Handling correspondence, billing, and bookkeeping.
Medical assistants are in demand in a variety of work environments, and our graduates are prepared to work at a doctor office, ambulatory medical center, urgent care facility, hospital or long-term care facility. The knowledge and skills gained throughout this program will also prepare you to further your education and pursue a health-related associate degree in nursing, science, health information technology or radiologic technology.
Upon completion of the Medical Assistant Program, you will be eligible to take the CMA (AAMA) certification examination to earn your credential and become a certified medical assistant, CMA (AAMA).
Medical Assisting program effectiveness
|Year||CMA (AAMA) Credentialing Exam Pass Rate|
This link will take you to the current working catalog. On that page, you may also select other available catalog years from the drop-down menu located in the upper right.
View gainful employment information for this program.
Information sessions* (group advising sessions)
|Wednesday, July 17, 2019||3 to 4 p.m.||ATC Room 119|
|Thursday, Aug. 1, 2019||5 to 6 p.m.||ATC Room 119|
Attending a Group Advising Session is your first step toward attaining a medical assisting certificate. RSVP to 810-989-5675 or 800-553-2427, Ext. 5675, option 1. Leave your name, phone number and the session you will be attending. You will not receive a call back. Walk-ins are welcome, but you are encouraged to RSVP.
*Dates and times are subject to change.
Frequently asked questions
Handbook and resources
Medical Assisting Program
Estimated cost sheet (Effective Fall, 2019)
|Tuition and fees by semester||Contact hours||Out District||In-District|
|HHS Application fee||$25||$25|
|Liberal Arts - BIO 160, CIS 115||9||$2,583||$1,449|
|1st Semester - Fall||Contact hours||Out District||In-District|
|MA 110, 113||6||$1,722||$966|
|Liberal Arts - HE 101, 102, 110, 112||6||$1,722||$966|
|Uniforms, shoes, stethoscope (approximate)||$150||$150|
|Fall Semester Total||$4,335*||$2,528*|
|2nd Semester - Winter||Contact hours||Out District||In-District|
|MA 115, 201, 208, 210, 211||13||$3,731||$2,093|
|Winter Semester Total||$4,005*||$2,367*|
|3rd Semester - Summer||Contact hours||Out District||In-District|
|MA 213, 214||7||$2,009||$1,127|
|Summer Semester Total||$2,214||$1,332|
|Type of tuition||Cost per credit hour||Notes|
|In-District Tuition:||$161||(includes Tuition & Technology fee)|
|Out-District Tuition:||$287||(includes Tuition & Technology fee)|
Note: Tuition and fees subject to change
*Books not included