St. Clair County Community College recently released the 63rd edition of Patterns magazine, Michigan’s oldest literary and arts publication aimed at showcasing student writing talent and works of art.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions during the 2020-21 academic year, traditional activities surrounding the creation and publication of the magazine were delayed.
“Patterns is an opportunity to celebrate being creative and to recognize the unique talents of our next generation of artists,” said Sarah Flatter, professor of fine arts at the college. “We’re excited to honor students and their success while at SC4.”
A digital version of Patterns is available on our website at sc4.edu/patterns.
The following students received awards:
- Eleanor Mathews Award, literature — Makenna Joppich
- Patrick Bourke Award, visual art — Brandi Schmitz
- Kathleen Nickerson Award — Thomas Short for “A Father’s Love: Rejection from the Beloved”
- Second-place — Samantha Kicinski for “Another Day at the Office”
- Third-place — Rebekah Delmedico for “Advertisements and Persuasion: Manipulating our Wants into Needs”
- Blanche Redman Award, — Lindsey Sobkowski for “Rainy Day Villanelle”
- Second-place — Makenna Joppich for “Living Room Windows”
- Third-place — Patricia Jo Bowman for “Eli”
- Richard Colwell Award, — Emily Kean for “Pareidolia”
- Second-place — Natalya Reid for “She Strings the Beads to Make a Brighter Day”
- Third-place — Makenna Joppich for “Brother”
- First-place — Skylar Aleman for “New View”
- Second-place — Doug Penrod for “Strange Medicine”
- Third-place — Heather Brassfield for “Snowy Dirt Road”
Merit awards also were provided to students for having their work chosen for inclusion in Patterns.
Literary Selections of Merit
- Makenna Joppich for “Marred Sky”
- Zachary Kerhoulas for “Autumn Leaves”
- Stacy Nichols for “Dinner Bell”
- William Patterson for “Morning Coffee”
- Jacqueline Wahl for “The Ruby-Eyed Man”
- Avery Westbrook for “Espresso Express”
Visual Art Selections of Merit
- Heather Brassfield for “Cades Cove Barn”
- Miranda Benner for “Wagon Wheel”
- Hannah Buckley for “Morning at 40th Street Pond”
- Alicia Fortuna for “Face off”
- Vera Klimovich for “Daydreamer”
- Doug Penrod for “Marine City Throw Back”
- Brandi Schmitz for “Lucy in the Sky”
Production of Patterns was made possible by the financial support from St. Clair County Community College and SC4 Friends of the Arts.