Getting Started

To help mitigate risk and reduce the spread of COVID-19 while continuing to serve our students and community, many SC4 services normally offered on campus are being provided primarily using virtual or remote methods. Students can call, email or use online chat Monday through Friday for all services related to enrollment, financial aid, advising, student accounts, and other services. You can call (810) 989-5500, email, or use the chat service available on this website. If a visit to campus is needed for a specific issue, appointment arrangements to meet with a staff member will be made.

Some of the information on this page will not apply to you during this period. This information is shown in gray text.

Details on SC4’s response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation are available at

Beginning your college career at SC4 requires a few steps, but we’re here to help you get through all of them!

NOTE: High school students taking classes as dual-enrolled students and international students require additional steps. Find out more by clicking the links below:

Step 1: Apply to SC4

SC4 has different applications for each type of incoming student:

Students planning to attend after their high school class has graduated use the online Application for Admission.

If you are in high school and are interested in attending college either as a dual-enrolled student (most tuition and fees are paid for by your school district) or as a high school guest (tuition and fees are paid by you and your family) complete the online Application for Early Admission.

If you previously attended SC4, but haven’t attended any classes within the past two years, you’ll need to reapply. Otherwise, your student account will still be active and you don’t need to submit a new student application.

Students transferring credits from other colleges or universities should have official transcripts sent to SC4 as soon as possible to allow time for evaluation. Official transcripts can be sent electronically to or by mail to:

Enrollment Services
St. Clair County Community College

323 Erie Street
P.O. Box 5015
Port Huron MI 48061-5015

If you’d like to see what classes are being offered at SC4 in the upcoming semester, you can search for class offerings without a username and password. Please note that you can’t use this preview page to complete registration for classes; that can only be done through the SC4 Portal after being admitted as a student.

Step 2: Apply for financial aid

Not all students need or want to be considered for financial aid, so this step is optional. If you’d like to apply for aid, you can start by completing the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When asked, be sure to include SC4’s Federal School Code, which is 002310.

High school guests, college guests and students attending for personal enrichment, and students without a high school diploma or GED are not eligible for financial aid.

Learn more about the financial aid process and the types of aid that are available.

Step 3: Take assessment tests

All new students (and transfer students without college-level English and/or math classes on a college transcript) are required to take assessments for math, reading and writing skills OR submit scores from tests previously taken. These assessments ensure that you’re placed in the right courses.

SC4 accepts scores from the following assessment tests: SAT, ACT, and ACCUPLACER. (You may want to consider taking ACCUPLACER assessments at the SC4 Testing Center if you took the ACT or SAT exam as a junior.)

Call the SC4 Testing Center at (810) 989-5555 to schedule your assessment tests. If you have your SC4 student number, you can also schedule your testing appointment online.

Step 4: Meet with an advisor

All new and transfer students are required to meet with an advisor to plan classes for the first semester and learn about degree requirements. (The requirement is waived if you have a college degree or are taking classes for personal enrichment).

Call (810) 989-5520 to schedule an advising appointment.

Currently due to the COVID-19 situation, this step is not required. You can schedule your appointment online for an online or a telephone appointment.

Step 5: Register and pay for classes

You may register and pay for your classes either online or in the Self-Service Room of the SC4 Welcome Center. View information on payment plans.

SC4 students use a software tool called Student Planning. This tool makes it easy for you to plan your degree and to schedule your sections each semester.

Access frequently asked questions about student planning, or call (810) 989-5500 for assistance.

Learn more about what SC4 offers services for military veterans and their families.

SC4 accepts high school guest and dual enrollment students in several programs.

Dual Enrolled or High School Guest

As a high school student, you can begin taking college classes as early as your freshman year, and age-appropriate home-schooled students can get a head start by taking college credit courses prior to graduation. You may qualify for tuition assistance through your local school district. Fill out this online application.

Blue Water Middle College Academy

After five years, you can have your high school diploma and an associate degree from SC4. Tuition is free of charge. This partnership is open to students in the participating high schools: Algonac, Capac, Memphis, Port Huron High, Port Huron Northern and Yale. The middle college is chartered by St. Clair County Regional Educational Service Agency, and college tuition is paid for by the middle college. Students apply in the spring of their sophomore year, and more than half of every cohort goes on to study at a 4-year university. For more information, visit the Blue Water Middle College Academy website.

Career and Technical Middle College (CTMC)

The Career and Technical Middle College allows students to pursue career-oriented studies in both the high school and college setting while earning college credit at no cost. CTMC students can earn an associate degree through an additional year of study. Students in the CTMC remain students of their home high school. CTMC students take high school classes at their high school, as well as taking technical classes at the St. Clair Technical Education Center and college classes at SC4. Learn more.

Croswell-Lexington Early College (CL5)

Earn your high school diploma and an associate degree from SC4 in five years. The partnership is open to Croswell-Lexington High School students. Classes are offered at the Cros-Lex College Center and on SC4’s Port Huron campus. Funding is provided through the school district. For more information, visit the high school counseling office or call the high school at 810-679-1500

Michigan Virtual (MV)

SC4 partners with Michigan Virtual to offer Michigan students the opportunity to dual enroll in online college-level courses while still in high school.

With these online courses, students can:

  • Earn college credit while still in high school
  • Meet both high school and college requirements in one fell swoop
  • Save money (and minimize debt) on college general education courses
  • Accelerate their path toward a college diploma
  • Acclimate to college-level learning

Visit Michigan Virtual for more information and to sign up today!

International students can select from an array of more than 20 degrees taught by instructors with real-world experience in their fields Courses are offered in small class settings that ensure personal attention you can’t get at larger schools. While you’re here in beautiful Port Huron, Michigan, you’ll connect with students and faculty from across the region. These social connections can go a long way towards building professional relationships in your career after SC4.

Our past and current international students have come from Botswana, Canada, England, Germany, South Korea, and Ukraine.

Interested in St. Clair County Community College?

How to Apply

After completing the steps to apply, you will receive an SC4 acceptance package and will be issued a Form I-20 from the college.

Use the Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa. If you need a visa to enter the United States (visa-exempt countries include Canada and Bermuda), you must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee before going to the United States embassy or consulate for your visa interview. Additional information regarding paying this fee will be included in the SC4 acceptance package and may be found at All files except your school records and proof of financial resources can be submitted through this form.

Step 1: Submit an international student application for admission

Complete and submit the following application pages on the International Student Application form:

  • International Student Application for Admission form, Page 5
  • Financial Resources form, Page 7 (see step #4 for further detail)
  • F-1 Status Contract form, Page 8

Application deadlines:

  • Fall semester – June 1
  • Winter semester – Oct. 1
  • Summer semester* – March 1

*Note: Only Canadian commuter students are permitted to start in the summer semester. Deadlines may be flexible.

Step 2: Submit passport

Submit a copy of a valid passport.

Passport must be valid for a period extending at least six months past a student’s expected program completion date.

Step 3: Submit school records

Submit official, sealed English translation of school records (high school/secondary school diploma, transcripts and, if applicable, college transcripts).

SC4 does not accept faxed, or photocopied school records documentation.

School records should be sent to the following address:

St. Clair County Community College
Attn: Sherry Artman
323 Erie Street
P.O. Box 5015
Port Huron, MI 48061-5015
United States of America

Step 4: Submit proof of financial resources

Submit proof of original or certified evidence of financial resources for the amount of $22,479 USD ($15,745 USD for full-time Canadian commuter students, and $7,811 for part-time Canadian commuter).

  • An original or certified bank statement may serve as evidence of financial resources. The statement may be that of the applicant and/or that of the applicant’s sponsor. If there is a sponsor, the sponsor must also sign the Financial Resources form.
  • This information is required for all students planning to enter the United States. It is required by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. U.S. consulate officials require evidence of financial support before a student visa is granted. Students may not include expected income from employment during the academic year or summer months as proof of resources.
  • SC4 does not accept faxed or photocopied bank statements, letters, or financial solvency documentation.

Proof of financial resources must be sent to the following address:

St. Clair County Community College
Attn: Sherry Artman
323 Erie Street
P.O. Box 5015
Port Huron, MI 48061-5015
United States of America

Step 5: Submit personal statement in English

Submit a handwritten personal statement (no more than two pages) summarizing educational and professional goals. Include applicant’s plans for the future and how SC4 may help the applicant meet those needs.

Scan and submit a copy of the personal statement.

Step 6: Submit proof of English ability

Applicants whose home country’s official language is not English must provide proof of English ability by submitting official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or an ELS Language Center. No other scores will be accepted.

Students must score a minimum of 512 on the paper-based version of TOEFL, or a minimum of 68 on the Internet-based version of TOEFL. The minimum ELS proficiency level required is 109. The St. Clair County Community College code for TOEFL is 1628.

Non-U.S. applicants are also exempt from the TOEFL requirement if they have completed one full academic year at a college or university in the United States as a full-time student or earned an accredited associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree from a college or university in the United States. Applicants from Puerto Rico must meet the TOEFL requirement.

Step 7: Proof of health insurance

Prior to arriving in the United States, it is required that international students provide proof of U.S. health insurance, which includes repatriation coverage. (Canadian students must purchase supplementary travel health insurance and submit a copy of Canadian Health card.) Proof can be provided in person or submitted through the interest form.

Insurance coverage must include the following:

  • Medical coverage per accident and injury of at least $100,000
  • Repatriation coverage of at least $5,000